Poverty and the Presidential Election

Rich and poor have this in common: God is the Maker of them all.
Proverbs 22:2

In my quest to live an intentional life, I've been thinking a lot lately how politics, particularly the upcoming elections, interacts with my faith.  The interaction between politics and the church has always been a hot button issue for both Christians and politicians, but at least for people of faith, Jim Wallis makes a good point:

"For years Christians have been separated by elections, but finally, we have a common ground moral issue: poverty."

As a United Methodist, I feel that my faith calls me to get involved with and take a stance on social justice issues, like poverty.  Likewise, my time studying politics has lead me to better understand social justice issues through a political lens, and understand the importance of legislation that supports people in need.  At least for me, politics and faith are uniquely intertwined.  

The Circle of Protection, a Christian organization, asked for Obama and Romney to directly address their plans to end poverty in America.  Check out their responses below, and stay informed on each candidates views!

VIDEO: Obama, Romney Answer Faith Leaders' Call to Address Poverty in Election

Leave a Reply

Blogger templates

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.